Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Life at Disney as a Vegetarian...

Written by Danielle 

Life at Disney as a Vegetarian...

I just came back from WDW and wanted to write a review on my experience of eating there as a person who eats a vegetarian diet. I ate only at counter service venues and I found it surprisingly easy to get a good vegetarian meal on the go! 

Here is what I ate and my reviews:

Epcot @ Sunshine Seasons: The Oak-grilled Vegetable Flatbread Sandwich- This was AMAZING. It's a flatbread with hummus spread on it with grilled zucchini, roasted red peppers, spinach, olives, (maybe eggplant too, I don't remember), and topped with feta cheese. You can choose potato salad or cole slaw so I got the potato salad. It was very filling and satisfying. The flatbread was SO GOOD too! It tasted like whole wheat and was very soft and held up all the ingredients very well! 

Flatbread


Animal Kingdom @ Yak and Yeti Counter Service: The Roasted Vegetable Couscous Wrap. This wrap was so good that I emailed WDW for the recipe LOL! There was definitely more couscous than veggies in this wrap, but it was so good that I didn't care. The couscous had a delicious blend of spices.. possibly cumin, cinnamon, and curry (that's why I want the recipe so I can be sure and make it at home!) and while the veggies were very few and far between, I remember some chickpeas, onion, pepper, and possibly zucchini. This was all wrapped up in a super soft lavash flatbread. It came with a yogurt sauce reminiscent of tzatziki sauce that was really tasty and elevated the flavor of the wrap and a small bag of grapes. 

Pic courtesy of DisneyFoodBlog.com


Downtown Disney @ Marketplace Snacks: Grilled Vegetable Wrap. This was definitely a hidden surprise! This was a pretty non-descript snack stand in the middle of Downtown Disney that had stuff like popcorn, hotdogs, drinks, and had two wraps: this one and an Italian one. I was delighted to see a veggie option at a place with such a limited menu. This was a wrap that had zucchini, roasted red pepper, spinach, tomatoes, hummus, and balsamic dressing served with a bag of Lay's potato chips. It sounds boring but I think the veggies were grilled in sesame oil which gave it a great boost in flavor. It was nice eating this on a bench while people watching. 

Magic Kingdom @ Columbia Harbor House: The Lighthouse Sandwich. THIS is what I had been really looking forward to eating ever since I stumbled across it while looking up Disney menus online and it did NOT disappoint! It's a sandwich that has hummus, thick slices of tomato, and broccoli slaw coated in honey mustard dressing, on huge slices of multigrain bread served with homemade chips. It was just really good and after I let my sister have a bite she wished she ordered it instead of her salmon platter lol. This is definitely a sandwich I will mimic at home! I also just love the Columbia Harbor house in general because it's nice and quiet in the upstairs dining section and I always get my picture taken pretending to steer the huge ship wheel LOL!

Pic courtesy of kingdom planners.com


Overall, I was very impressed with the vegetarian food choices at WDW. Everything I ate was delicious and satisfying enough to keep me energized at the parks. That was a huge concern of mine since sometimes vegetarian meals leave you still hungry an hour later. I am happy that WDW is very vegetarian friendly and mindful of having at least one meatless choice at almost all of their food venues. I highly suggest you try some of these meals even if you are not a vegetarian because they are super delicious! It makes me even more excited to go back so I can try even MORE veggie meals! YAAAAY!

Oh and P.S... Try the Pumpkin Spice Funnel Cake at the Funnel Cake kiosk in the America section of World Showcase in Epcot. It's $1.50 more than a regular funnel cake but OH SO worth it! My family descended upon it like locusts lol!

Pumpkin Funnel Cake 

Please feel free to send me any questions that you have. Thank you!  yohoyohobloggerslifeforme@gmail.com

Subscribe to my Disney Podcast ( Mousellaneous DIScussions)on iTunes or Stitcher or listen by this link:
Follow me on Twitter at:
Please join my Disney FB Discussion Group!
Follow me on Pinterest at: 
Or on Tumblr at:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Kate Smith likes

Yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.comYohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Create your Like Badge